Recycled candles

I haven't been able to craft much in the last week and a half as I have been in pain from what I thought was a shoulder issue which seems to come out of nowhere.  I've been told by the doctor and my chiropractor that the pain in my shoulder is actually a result of a pinched nerve in my neck.  I am finally feeling somewhat better today after the doctor prescribed me some anti-inflammatory medication and one for pain.  So decided to work on something for my husband. 

About a week ago my husband asked me if I could buy him some cheap candles.  He likes to burn them while out in the garage.  It warms the garage a bit and makes it smell better.  Rather than buy new ones I chose to recycle some of the old ones.  You know how after you burn a candle as much as it will burn, your left with all sorts of leftover wax around the edges and the center part is burned all the way down.  I'm talking about the kind that come in some sort of glass.   Well here is what I did to recycle these old candles into new ones. 

1) You need an old pot to put water in for boiling.
2) Fill half way with water and boil on stove.  Turn down so it's not rolling but still very hot.
3) Place one or two (depends on the pot size) into the boiling water. 
4) You will need at least 1 empty jar and some wicks (bought at the craft store, candle making area).
5) The wax will begin to melt just by having them in the water.  Once the wax melts you will need to pick up   the jar. I used an old gardening glove so It was easier to handle and just in case I slipped I wouldn't burn my hand with the hot wax. 
6) Set the new wick in the empty jar and slowly poor the melted wax into the jar.  Continue doing this until the jar is full with the wick sticking out enough to light.  You can mix the colors if you want.  I layered two and the other two are the same solid color.
7) Once all the melted wax is out of the jar I wiped out the jar to be used for the next one.

I was actually able to make four new candles for only $2.99 which is the cost of 10 wicks.  I can still make 6 more so really that is only .30cents a candle.  Its kinda of time consuming but was fun.  I still have some old candles to make more so when he needs more I know how it do it now.

posted under |

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

Crafting Supply search

Custom Search

About Me

I've always been interested in arts and crafts all my life. I've dabbled in a little bit of everything, from drawing, painting, woodcrafting, metalworking, beading, papercrafting. I love all types of medium.

Welcome to Midwest Greenworks

I've created this blog as a way to share the different crafts and arts I've created. I use a variety of material and styles. If you have any questions about the items I share, feel free to send my a message and I would be happy to answer.



Followers


Recent Comments